Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Baking Bread




This recipe is from "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" cookbook. Favorite recipes from the Belle Center Amish Community.

2 pkg. active dry yeast
2 1/2 cup warm water
4 Tbsp. shortening ( I use olive oil)
2 tsp salt
6 cup white all purpose flour ( I use 2 cups whole wheat and 4 cups unbleached bread flour)
1/4 cup honey

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir in honey. Add shortening (olive oil) and salt and 2 cup flour. Mix well. Stir in remaining flour and let rise (approx. 45 min.) until double in bulk. Punch down well. Let rise again. Roll out and put in pans. I let it rise again. Makes 2 large loaves or 3 small ones. Bake at 375 for 30 - 35 min.

The Amish lady that sold me the book gave me this tip. When your bread comes out of the oven coat the tops of the bread in butter and place a cloth on them to cool. This will make your bread crust soft. It works!

No comments: