Thursday, January 17, 2008

Turkey Pasta Soup "Mommy's famous noodle soup"


I got this recipe out of a magazine once. The recipe won a grand prize and since then my children call this Mommy's famous noodle soup. This is an easy soup with great flavor. My children love this soup. The broth is what makes it the best.

1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 medium onions chopped ( I use one large onion chopped)
2 garlic cloves minced. ( I used one teaspoon minced garlic)
3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each reduced sodium chicken broth) I prefer organic chicken broth I think it has a richer flavor
2 cans ( 14 1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes ( I cut up the tomatoes into small pieces my family does not like large tomato bites in soup
2 cans (15 ounces each) Cannellini beans, or white kidney beans (Not White (great northern) beans) rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed (don't leave this out it makes the broth have a wonderful flavor)
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In a large pot cook the onion and garlic then add turkey and brown. Drain and stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 min. If you have the time I allow this soup to simmer very low for awhile. When you are ready to serve cook the pasta and drain then add to the soup. Adding the pasta earlier in the process causes the pasta to fall apart and the soup gets mushy.

1 1/3 cup = 211 calories

No comments: