Friday, October 5, 2007

Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken BBQ Sandwich



Sometimes you get it right. This is one of those times. I have been attempting to not eat pork. Living in the south and growing up on Pork BBQ sometimes you can have a craving. Yesterday I decided to attempt to cook pulled chicken BBQ. I placed 3 full boneless chicken breast in a crockpot. That equals 6 half boneless skinless breast. I then covered the chicken in homemade BBQ sauce. My crockpot cooks hot so I turned it on warm and let it cook overnight. The chicken cooked until supper time. It is important to note that the chicken was done this morning but allowing it to cook the rest of the day is what made it BBQ. The sauce during the day thickened and the meat turned from white to a deep pink. The chicken fell apart and had a wonderful flavor. I served the chicken on a whole wheat bun. One of my children said this is the best BBQ I have ever eaten.

Barbecue Sauce

1&1/2 cups brown sugar
1&1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
2 & 1/2 TBSP dry mustard
2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 tsp black pepper
Hot pepper sauce to taste

Heat in a sauce pot until brown sugar has melted and ingredients have combined.
(pour over chicken and cook in crock pot on lowest setting for 8 to 12 hours. Longer is better)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't even miss the pork do you? I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you. It sounds like the whole family is on board with this journey. Buckle up & enjoy the ride, my friend. It is going to be awesome!
Love you!
S

Anonymous said...

O.K.---the chicken's in the crock pot! I didn't get a jump on it last night so I speeded the process up by baking the chicken breasts (I used bone in and skin on) in the sauce until done, then removed the skin and bones and shredded the chicken and added it to the crock pot. The girls and I all sampled it while we shredded---YUMMY!! Oh yeah- I also added a splash of liquid smoke to the sauce. I love sauces with vinegar--it's the real key in my opinion. Thanks for another tasty recipe!!
Hugs-
the other S